Friday, May 22, 2009

Additional Hamlet Post

Through the story of Hamlet, I realized that anger overpowers any emotion. Hamlet had to battle through the emotions of love, for Ophelia, faith, to his Mother, and insanity, due to the odd behavior he exhibited. Because of his father's murder, Hamlet was left with no choice but to kill his uncle and avenge the death of the king. It was very interesting to watch when and how Hamlet would kill Claudius, and I, probably like a lot of readers, thought that he would when he was standing over Claudius with the sword whilst he was praying. When he did not kill him on the basis that he thought he would go to heaven, i was angry myself. I got sucked into the play and felt his anger. I wanted him to kill him, if that was me i would of. Although Hamlet did not kill Claudius at this moment, i knew it was inevitable, especially with two full acts remaining. The ending of Hamlet came as no surprise. Shakespeare likes to kill a lot of characters in his play, as he did in Othello. I knew the end would come for Claudius and Hamlet, but i have to say that the death of Ophelia was surprising. Although it is a recurring theme in Shakespeare's works that the love attraction dies, i did not predict this. Queen Gertrude's death was hinted at when Hamlet got a little violent with her. I knew part of his anger was towards his mother for marrying Claudius, and in such short time after his father's death. While my favorite play of Shakespeare's was Julius Caesar, Hamlet's plot and character's were more interesting and the performance we went to see was overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment